I advise museums and other organisations on developing new exhibition spaces, creating new exhibitions and re-displaying collections in existing spaces. I have worked with national, regional and local museums, design companies and other organisations on projects ranging from developing new exhibition spaces and masterplanning museums, to producing small exhibitions. My work enables clients to develop a project with a clear, sustainable vision and strategy that will enable their exhibitions to convey ideas clearly. This can include:
- Vision & aims – developing the big picture: what should this project achieve? How will it build on and enhance your organisation? I work with clients and their stakeholders to identify the core aims, values and requirements of the project.
- Strategy & implementation – what is needed to accomplish this project both during and after its development? What impact will it have on your organisation’s operations? I advise organisations on the actions, people and resources required.
- Masterplanning – how do you plan content throughout a building? How do you programme temporary exhibitions? What if you have a multi-purpose space? I work with the project team to identify key themes and create a plan that creates a cogent visitor experience.
- Exhibition concept development – What is the best way to present a subject in an exhibition? At this crucial foundation stage of exhibition development I work with clients to develop a concept that works with the exhibition space, the collection and the audiences. This can then be taken forward for detailed content development.
- Design development – The visual language of an exhibition is crucial to ensuring its ideas are clearly conveyed. I can help clients appoint designers and can oversee design development to ensure the integrity of the exhibition concept.
My work with The Crick Institute, London, helped them to create a public exhibition space for their new building, which led to a successful bid for HLF funding. Working with key stakeholders, I developed a strategy document that identified the core aims and values of the exhibition space. I showed how the existing space could be adapted for use, identified ways to work with other cultural organisations, and outlined how the Institute could adjust its practices to enable symbiotic programming of conferences, exhibitions and events. In addition I wrote an implementation document outlining requirements for capital outlay, staffing, production costs and operations.
Please contact me if you have a project you wish to discuss.